original irish stew recipe
Irish Stew Recipe:
1. 2 lbs. lamb shoulder, cut into chunks
2. 4 large potatoes, peeled and sliced
3. 4 large carrots, peeled and sliced
4. 2 large onions, chopped
5. 3 cups beef or chicken broth
6. 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
7. 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
8. 1 tsp. dried thyme
9. Salt and pepper, to taste
1.Brown the lamb: In a large, oven-safe pot or Dutch oven, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the lamb and brown on all sides, about 8-10 minutes. Remove the lamb from the pot and set it aside.
2. Cook the onions: Add the onions to the pot and cook until they are translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
3. Add flour and broth: Sprinkle the flour over the onions and stir to combine. Gradually pour in the broth, stirring constantly to prevent lumps from forming.
4. Add lamb and vegetables: Add the lamb back to the pot, along with the potatoes, carrots, thyme, salt, and pepper.
5. Bring to a boil: Bring the stew to a boil.
6. Cook in the oven: Cover the pot with a lid and transfer it to the preheated oven. Bake for 2-2.5 hours, or until the lamb is tender and the vegetables are cooked through.
7. Let cool and serve: Remove the pot from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving. Serve the Irish stew hot, garnished with fresh parsley or thyme, if desired.
This recipe serves 6-8 people.
Enjoy your delicious, hearty Irish stew!